January 23, 2021 10 AM Marquette Town Hall


1.     The meeting was called to order by Chairman Gettelman at 10 AM.  He noted that the open meeting law was meet by the posting of the agenda at various locations around the lake, in 2 newspapers, on face book and on the district web page.

2.     Commissioners in attendance were: Jeff Kimber (Secretary), Jaimes Johnson (treasurer), Gary Wilson (Town of Mecan representative), Bill Boutwell (Green Lake Co. representative) Jason Schlimgen.  Commissioner excused, Willy Stalker.

Public present:  Brian Zimmermann;  Jeff Klingbeil

3.     Minutes from the special meeting of December 5th were read.  Comm. Wilson made a motion to approve and Comm. Schlimgen 2nd.  MOTION PASSED

4.     The treasurer’s report was given by Comm. Johnson.  There hasn''t been much action thus far this year.  We are going to be in contact with the bank and make some updates to the cd's and accounts in the near future.  We will now have access to the bank via the internet.  Motion by Comm. Kimber and 2nd by Comm. Wilson to approve the report.  MOTION PASSED

5.     Motion by Comm. Kimber, 2nd by Comm. Wilson to approve the agenda with the understanding we would continue with the agenda until the DNR representatives call for the conference call.. MOTION PASSED.

Conference call with DNR representatives, Ted Johnson and Uriah Monday— Dredge Bank       Project update and Princeton Dam water manipulation testing project.  Scheduled for 10:30 AM

Ted Johnson Everyone know s that we have an improvement Grant for $200,000 and have had others over the years.  He indicated that he has received a couple of grants for the extension of the dredge bank and some islands (in the future) on the east end of the lake.  He has a power point to share with us to show the wind fetch for the area he described and how much this will save the vegetation in that area. The management plan has this in it as a goal.  We are going to restore habitat in the lake.  There were 2-- $25,000 State Planning Grants; One Corps of Engineers Grant to run the wind/wave model for $10,000; One $200,000 State Lake Protection Grant for building the dredge-bank; One NAWCA grant, through DU for $100,000,  The District has thus far kicked in $10,000. (District $ is more or less for matching funds and helps gains points in securing grants.)  We will building 4 segments of 500' each starting from the break in the break wall and going to the east for a total of 2000'.  Each segment will have a 50' gap.  They will start out in front of Marquette with barging in material for the 4 segments.  By lowering wind/wave energy will improve habitat as this has been shown on the Mississippi River in the Stoddard area.  This was also noted in the Lake Management Plan.  Ted answered some questions from the board and public.  After this is completed there may be another phase prior to doing the proposed islands to the east.  There maybe 2 or 3 phases prior to the Islands being built.  This would be the North-South dredge bank on the west end of the project.  One question asked is would the DNR be planting vegetation from the Islands to the North Shore?  Ted said that could be a possibility but they have a pretty active growth of vegetation that may do the expansion on its own, but they could plant some species as needed.  Is it going to be more of open water or marsh area?   It will have more submergent vegetation and possibility of some wild rice and some bulrush but most will be open water type of area.  Brian asked that the 2000' is approx. ½ of the project, correct?  Has there been any discussion with the Village on the trucks coming to the landing with the rocks for the wall?  This would be part of the local contractors bid.  This was noted with Brian Galinski and Derek Kavanaugh in their discussions with the local contractor bids.  If we do get this done this year (the 200,000') we would/could be eligible for another $200,000 Protection Grant in November of this year.  This would be for next year.  If we have started with our grant then we could start with this proposal for 2021.  If we are going on with this we need to budget $ down the road for the district share of funding.  Ted has been in contact with Brian Galinski for DU $'s, NAWCA monies., WFT monies and any other possibilities for funding.  The district would continue to be part of the funding process.  Brian Zimmermann noted that if the District is going to continue with this they need to budget for each phase that we continue with.  (we have another 3,000' of dredge wall along with the islands being built.)  Jeff Klingbeil asked about the materials being hauled in and who was trucking it in.  Ted noted that it would be local as that would naturally happen due to this being local.

Uriah Monday,  Dam Safety and flood Engineer for Green Lake County with the WDNR.  The new dam has a current crest at the same level as the old dam with the flash boards in place.  He noted that now that we can't take the boards off, how do we manage the water levels as they were  when the boards were removed during the fall/winter months?  This can be determined with some “serious” hydraulic calculations.  The possibilities of controlling the water level for this issue would be determined by the gates in the lock chamber.  In order to mimic the winter water levels we need to determine how much the water level is controlled by each gate that is open.  The flow equation for water going over the boards is entirely different than water flowing under the gates.  Using calculations from USGS records (700 CFS) it would potentially note that with 4 gates open would hypothetically mimic the water flow with the boards on.  Comm. Wilson asked after the water level goes down to “normal” what are intentions of using the gates to control the water level?  Uriah, we haven't gotten that far as to what we can or can't do with the gates.  Right now we are just trying to determine what kind of conditions we have as when we had the old dam/flash board system.  We haven't learned enough to find out the characteristic of the dam to determine what we can do with the gates.  Brian Zimmermann asked if the material that was sent to him would have any benefit to working and monitoring the lake/dam water levels over the long term?   Uriah, yes it would be benificial on the long term.  Current once a week observations as being done now is an okay method but more is better.  We may want to know more about the water level changes during a rain event and this type of monitoring may be a little bit of over kill, but the manual type may work as we have now.  How much do we need at this time?    So what would be needed to get the same water level with the boards off.  (as noted 4 gates open were thought to be the answer).  So starting the first part of January we have started opening the gates to see how much this will change the water level.  We then went to a 2nd gate and now yesterday we opened 3rd gate.  Now we will observe what happens there.  We will not do any more until the first part of February.  Right now there is about 1000 fps.  Some time the Princeton gauge will have a spike, but USGS noted that these are normal due to cold weather.  The reading at the gauge at the dam was 8.0, on Friday and 8.5 in the beginning of January when we opened the first gate.  Uriah noted that when the level gets to 7.2 there will be just a trickle going over the dam.  At this point there is still 9” or so going over the long crest of the dam.   The fish ladder elevation is set 6" lower than the long crest and so there is 15" of flow going over the fish ladder at this point.  Chairman Gettelman asked when would we be closing the gates back up.  Uriah said it would be after the spring flows.  So we want to mimic what it would be when we would put the boards back on.  If we open the 4 gate that would be after the last Fisheree or after February 6th.    The need to update the Memorandum of Understanding and Agreement needs to be updated as the dam has changed and the manor of controlling the water levels has changed.  This will be worked on prior to next fall with the WDNR and the Lake District. 


a.     Walleye Hatchery update  We need help.  Please let Chairman Gettelman know if you would like to volunteer   Need younger volunteers and anyone that is willing to help.

b.     Tern Rafts—needs and updates:  Randy Schmidt had sent out notes on what is needed for the tern rafts and slow no wake buoys.  Need some new chains, buoys, and repairs to the rafts.  No motion is needed as monies are budgeted for the tern rafts, and buoys.  Randy is authorized to make whatever purchases that are needed and then be reimbursed.   It was noted that Daryl Christensen has asked for $1700 for this year for his involvement with the tern rafts and Forester tern nesting boxes and monitoring them.  We would like to know how the money break down is for the $1700 if possible.  Comm. Kimber made a Motion to pay $1700 to Daryl Christensen 2nd Comm. Wilson. MOTION PASSED.

c.     District file storage/clerk:  We need to find a place to store past files.  And some on electronic files.  Comm. Schlimgen noted that his wife may be interested in doing the clerk job and the Web Page.  Brian Zimmermann suggested that the District contact the Town board and see if we could use some of their space for record storage..

d.     Web page and face book

e.     Onterra Draft Environmental Monitoring study 2020 Lake Puckaway:  This is on the Web page as a draft and will be updated later this spring.

f.       Additional discussion from the DNR conference call:  Brian Zimmermann did note that he did some additional investigation into some water readers that may be of interest to us to use to monitor the water levels/flow at the dam and in the lake.  These are interconnected and could be put in the lake and river in addition to the dam.  He is waiting on a bid from the company.  When Uriah is gone who will be gathering the data from the dam and make it available for our review?  The cost would be $10—15,000 for the equipment.  This could go to our web page if we have the internet connections available.  Question was asked if we could get some participation from an other agency to cover the cost.   This would be more of long range plan type of thing. 

g.     Any other old business


a.     Update on funding needs for grants:  As noted by Ted, the next grant cycle that we would be going for would be in November of this year.  This would be another $200,000 protection grant app.  We have $325,000 in the bank.

b.     District newsletter for 2021;  Comm. Johnson noted that the more information that was put out the less chance of rumors.  We need someone to put it together and get the mailing labels and such. 

c.     Action on Treasures requests from his report as needed:  A summary of the treasurer’s report of when we have a scheduled meeting.

d.    Discuss 2021 district meeting schedule and annual meeting date:  After some discussion it was decided that we would schedule meeting to be 1/4ly, January, April, July, October.  The annual meeting would be in addition to these meetings in June.

e.     Any other new business: none

III. ADJOURN:  Motion by Comm. Kimber 2nd by Comm. Schlimgen  to adjourn.  MOTION PASSED